Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Artist Summary" - Graffiti Poster

Last Monday morning our class created "graffiti posters" depicting our personal "frames of reference", and integrating certain aspects of Italain youth culture/identity that has affected us on a personal level.

I decided to do my poster based on multiple ethnicities that directly effect each individuals identity based on language, culture, religion, politics, and all other personal beliefs.

The nationalities i decided to highlight in my poster were Italy, USA, China & Bangladesh. I specifically chose both Italy and the USA to directly compare similar controversial issues shared between both nations. I chose China and Bangladesh because both share staggering high numbers of immigrants throughout Italy, and both ethnicities have large communities residing on the outskirts of Rome. Each country is represented by the nations' flag.

The controversial topics displayed throughout my poster and highlighted in red words with a black outlne are: Integration, Language, Politics, Migration, Racism & Religion

I chose to put "Discrimination" at the very top of the poster because it's a very prevalent issue amongst all immigrants, refugees, different ethnic groups, visiting foreigners, and even amongst the native Italians themselves (regionally - North vs. South).

I also highlighted both the dominating and conflicting religions seen in Italy but more specifically Rome: Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, and Buddism. Each are represented by their religious symbol: the star of David, a crucifix, a ying/yang, and a cresent moon with a small star.

I did a rough drawing of the earth with different colored people holding hands and surrounding it. I chose dark brown for dark skinned people, yellow for light skinned people, pink for females, and purple for gays. Furthermore, they are holding hands to represent equal responsibility in the advocacy for tolerance and understanding amongst all walks of life on this planet.

The word 'Education' is highlighted in yellow with an outline in black at the bottom of my poster. I did this to set it apart from the rest of the words because, to me, education promotes awareness. Specifically, an awareness of the differences between religions, politics, ethnicities, and which will confront stereotypes. Education can be used as a tool to bridge the gap between preconceived ideas and the truth. Hence, knowledge is power.

For a dramatic affect, I put two large bold black cracks running both vertically and horizontally through the middle of my poster and which cross in the center of my drawing of the earth. I did this to represent constant conflict and consequences of dueling ideologies by literally 'breaking' the world. This is my way of voicing my own concerns, and a warning, of what might happen if humanity does not find a peaceful and productive way to end all of our potentially hostile differences (i.e. resulting in extreme warfare).

Finally, I drew a white dove with yellow rays flowing behind it to represent hope. I also drew blue clouds in various areas of my poster with beams of sun rays bursting through as a similar representation. This is my personal way of 'shedding light' on (what i consider) heavy subject matter and creating a sort of balance: conflict vs. peace, discrimination vs. education, hope vs. despair. This drawing illustrates my hope for a brighter future; focusing on education as a means to encourage people to work together for a solution instead of against dealing with disastrous consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment